Toilet is one of the most indispensable things in our life. We need toilets for safe and convenient disposal of human waste, there will be times when it becomes hard to do the same without someone’s help.
Most of the human beings can easily operate a toilet on their own. However, there are some people who need a bit of assistance in order to operate it. For people who have weaker muscles due to old age, diseases like arthritis or recent surgery, an elevated toilet seat is imperative. Thanks to technology, such toilet seats are now readily available and serves a plethora of advantages to people in need.
So what are the differences between a normal toilet seat and a raised toilet seat? As the name suggests, a raised toilet seat offers a significant height difference of around 10 cm, making it easier to use. The increased height might sound trivial – however, such a height difference implies that the user requires lesser bending and consequently minimizes the risk of falling. Depending on the manufacturer, some raised toilet seats offer some specific advantages – such as offering built-in arms which are helpful for weaker people or those struggling with insufficient balance.
We also have to consider the disadvantages associated with these toilets. The most obvious con of a raised toilet seat is the higher difficulty associated with cleaning the toilet since we have more surface area to clean. We also cannot close the toilet lid since both the toilet seat and the lid must be in an upright position when we install such toilets. We should also be aware of the fact that the toilet seats are available in two different shapes – Round front (around 16.5 inches long) and Elongated (around 19 inches long). Buying a raised toilet seat incompatible for a certain type of toilet will serve no use.
You can buy a raised toilet seat from any medical supply store or from online stores like Amazon. These stores will directly ship the product to your home, without heavy shipping fares.
That’s enough said about raised toilet seats in general. Since we are now acquainted with some general pros and cons of these toilets, we need to identify which raised toilet seat suits your need. As mentioned earlier, most manufacturers offer some unique features with these toilets. So, we need to check a few things before picking up a raised toilet seat. And in this article, we will take a look at a few raised toilet seats and the advantages, as well as the disadvantages, they have to offer. These picks are not ranked since each of these toilet seats offers unique benefits to the consumer. So without further adieu, let’s begin.
Best 5 Raised Toilet Seats To Buy in 2020
- Essential Medical Supply Elevated Toilet Seat with Arms, Elongated, 19.5 x 14 x 3.5 Inch
Essential Medical Supply Elevated Toilet Seat with Arms is an elongated raised toilet seat. This toilet seat measures 19.5 inches in length, 14 inches in width and is also 3.5 inches tall. One of the most relevant features of this elongated seat is that this can be installed under your toilet seat. You don’t need to remove your existing seat to install this. This version of the product also comes in with Removable Arms that can provide valuable support while sitting down or standing up. The product is relatively cheap at a price of around 42 USD. Moreover, the ease of installation is the icing on the cake.Pros
- Comes in with Removable Arms that can be used while sitting down or standing up.
- Easy to install via Long Bolts and Wing Nuts
- Relatively cheap
- This product has a weight limit of 300 pounds or around 135 kg
- The product is subject to a non-return policy.
- PCP Raised Toilet Seat and Safety Frame (Two-in-One), Adjustable Rise Height, Secure Elevated Lift Over Bowl.
Raised toilet seats predominantly provide support to ageing people and people with weak muscles. So one of the key requirements of these products is the obvious safety factor. PCP Raised Toilet Seat can guarantee that to the users. The inclusion of an aluminium safety frame that’s shaped like a walker provides handles to both hands and legs and hence offer ample support. Similar to the previous product, the PCP seat is very easy to install. Moreover, the inclusion of adjustable lift to tweak the height of the frame can satisfy the unique needs of the user.The safety frame offers a 43.8cm (or 17.5 inches) distance between the handlebars, and an adjustable height ranging from 67.9 cm to 81.6 cm (or 26.75 inches to 31.75 inches). It is imperative that the user learns about the measurements pertaining to the product to make sure that the product is compatible with the existing toilet.
- Can adjust the height to user requirement
- Easy to install
- Easy to clean and carry
- Reinforced rubber tips for traction on a tiled floor
- Relatively expensive at 95 USD
- Liner requires frequent maintenance
- We cannot adjust the width
- DMI Elevated Raised Locking Toilet Seat with Armrests.
As mentioned earlier, most of the raised toilet seats have a height of around 3.6 inches (or around 9.1 cm). However, DMI Elevated Raising Toilet Seat offers a mammoth 5 inch (or around 12.7 cm) elevation of a toilet. The armrests bundled with the package provides even more convenience to the user. The armrests are padded and made of rust aluminium – thus providing extra security and stability for the users.This toilet seat is especially good for people recovering from hip, leg or knee surgery. The product is compatible with most round toilet seats – however, requires the user to replace the existing seat. This might cause inconvenience for the people who are sharing the same toilet who may not prefer elevated seats.
- An elevation of 5 inches to help the elderly or those recovering from injuries or surgeries
- Easy to install even without prior technical skills
- The armrests provide extra security and stability for the users.
- Lightweight and portable
- Decent value for money at around 76 USD
- Easy to clean
- Weight limit of only 250 pounds (or around 113 kg)
- Requires the user to replace the existing toilet seat – making it uncomfortable in situations where other people who do not need a raised toilet seat share the same toilet
- Carex Elongated Hinged Toilet Seat Riser
On the face of it, Carex’s Elongated Hinged Toilet Seat Riser ticks almost all the boxes when it comes to the fundamental necessities in a raised toilet seat. It is cheap, easy to clean and sturdy. The bundled lid is also a very welcomed addition since it can offer enhanced hygiene. The toilet has a height of 3.5 inches and does not require the consumers to replace the existing toilet seats. The product comes at a cheap price of around 28 USD, thus making it a great value for money.Pros:
- Easy to clean
- There is no need to replace the existing toilet seat
- Provides an extra lid for hygienic purposes
- Very cheap and great value for money
- A relatively smaller opening
- A large number of reports about the screws
- A large number of reports about the seat not fitting firmly on the seat
- Vive Toilet Seat Riser with Handles
The most important feature of the Toilet Seat Riser from Vive is the attached handles. The attached handles are padded with soft foam hand grips for extra support while sitting down and standing up. The non-slip surface of the handles is an extra layer of safety designed by the manufacturers.
This raised toilet seat is very easy to install, clean and maintain. You don’t need to replace the existing toilet seat to install Vive’s raised toilet seat. Similar to most other raised toilet seats, Vive’s product also provides an elevation of 3.5 inches. The product has two variants to support either the standard round toilets or the elongated ones. Both the variants are priced at 65 USD – a fair deal when it comes to value for money.
- Easy to install, clean and maintain.
- No need to replace the existing toilet seat
- Have two variants to support both the round-shaped toilets and the elongated toilets.
- The attached handles are convenient and add an extra layer of security and safety.
- The design of handles may restrict the movement of the user.
I have tried my level best to listing out some of the best raised toilet seats to buy in 2020, if you are still doubtful about the same, please do shoot your doubts in the comment section. I will be pretty much happy to clear all your doubts at the earliest.